Sunday, August 24, 2008

Change is Ah Coming

The smoke is visible from Illinois capital and a Vice President has been chosen. This is an Olympic relay and we are in the final leg. We must finish the race to win Gold. I should have some insight ---- I was born in the world's fastest nation.

I arrived in the Mile High City today and went to work immediately as a member of the Rules Committee. There, the primary issue on the agenda was to decide on how to address the issue of timing of primaries and caucus and the influence of "super-delegates" on the nomination process. The Committee adopted a resolution to establish a Democratic Change Commission to address all issues systematically. You may view all documents, deliberations, and speeches at www.demconvention.com. Tune in.

Being here is surreal for me, the son and grandson of a hard working immigrant family from a country ( Jamaica ) that is accustomed to making the world out of very little. I travel to Denver with the voice and dreams of many others who are in pursuit of their slice of American life in my luggage. It dawned on me that this party nomination process is serious business. It is confirmed that the same folks who fight for CHANGE internally within the Democratic Party - also fight against CHANGE of the status quo from new forces. It is also resonated to me that we are dead set in the eye of a storm that has squarely to do with the distribution of POWER among stakeholders within the party and ultimately for the Oval Office.

We play a vital role in the equitable (if this is even possible) distribution of power in the best interests of the common good. You certainly cannot stand by and watch this happen from your verandah. For the next 73 days, you will watch TV ads, read newspaper Op-eds, view presidential debates, and the like -- all with the effort to help you make a personal decision for your own well-being and that of your family. You have the power in your vote.

Over the next few days, I will be reporting on my personal experience directly from the floor of the Convention floor at http://marlonhill.blogspot.com Join me in the experience.

Monday - Keynote - Michelle Obama
Tuesday - Sen. Hillary Clinton
Wednesday - Sen. Joe Biden
Thursday - Sen. Barack Obama acceptance speech.

Together, we will be part of the CHANGE we want and NOT part of the CHANGE that passes you by in the dead of the night. Thank you for being there from Day one or even yesterday.

Let's go for the Gold! Join us at www.barackobama.com --- Obama/Biden '08

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to reading about your experience at the convention.

Anonymous said...

Marlon...I feel this country and especially this community is extremely fortunate that we have you at the Conference representing us. I trust in you and your passion for the change that is needed so desperately.....I look forward to sharing this experience, via this blog, with you. Take heart and do your thing!!!!!!
Lilia