Friday, January 16, 2009

Are You Ready to be Sworn In?

I arrived today to Washington D.C. on a delayed flight and underestimated the weather. It was a crippling 17 degrees. My tropical veins froze. There is a reason why brown and black people are from where we are from across the globe. I was dressed appropriately, but I thought at least I would have been able to break out the fur flip-flops. Not quite. The town was bustling. The air was crisp and there was a business like manner of every working person.

Due to my delayed flight, I had an hour to get from the airport to the Russell Senate Building to pick up coveted Inauguration ceremony tickets. It was tight and this was my last chance. I literally arrived at the building at 2:59. As I opened the car door, I felt I immediately knew what it is like to suffer from arthrhitis. Just frozen. No time to complain! Chop. Chop!

I made to the office as it was closing. Literally. The staff member smilled. With my frozen countenance, I gave her a half smile. The other side did not move. She handed me my credentials (see photo). I sighed.

As I stepped back outside the building, I could view the Inauguration stand in front of the Capitol. Though empty, it spoke volumes. I could hear the history of voices. Then it struck me. On Tuesday, Jan. 20, right before 12 noon, President-Elect Barack Obama will not take the oath of office ALONE - we will also be taking an oath. For this election season, we vowed with our vote to contribute to CHANGE we believe. We committed to helping to advance the legacy of this nation. We vowed to put our shoulder to the wheel. We promised to challenge the status quo. We vowed to pick up the pieces of our lives and work together for mutual prosperity. On Tuesday, this Inauguration will not be solely about Barack Obama, it will also be about our own word.

Whether you will be here in Washington or at home across the world, it will definitely be a special weekend and moment. I will be checking in each day to give you a snapshot and taste of the experience.

For now, I will count on the thoughts of the experience to warm my frozen veins. Button up and get ready to sworn in.

1 comment:

Toni English said...

Well said. I am concerned that after the inauguration festivities are over and D.C. has emptied of celebrants that our promise to be part of the change will be forgotten.